12 Valve Vs 24 Valve Cummins
There are two types of Cummins diesel engines: the 12 valve and the 24 valve. The 12 valve is the older of the two designs and is less complex. It has two valves per cylinder, compared to the four valves per cylinder in the 24 valve. The 24 valve is more powerful and efficient, but also more expensive to maintain.
Differences Between: 12 valve vs 24 valve cummins
1. 12 valve engines have two valves per cylinder, while 24 valve engines have four valves per cylinder.
2. 12 valve engines typically have lower compression ratios, while 24 valve engines often have higher compression ratios.
3. 12 valve engines may use a mechanical fuel injection pump, while 24 valve engines may use an electronic fuel injection system.
4. 12 valve engines typically have less horsepower and torque than 24 valve engines.
5. 12 valve engines may use a throttle body injection system, while 24 valve engines may use a direct injection system.
6. 12 valve engines may have a cast iron block, while 24 valve engines may have an aluminum block.
7. 12 valve engines may have a carburetor, while 24 valve engines may have fuel injectors.
8. 12 valve engines may have a mechanical governor, while 24 valve engines may have an electronic governor.
9. 12 valve engines may have a pushrod valvetrain, while 24 valve engines may have an overhead cam valvetrain.
Review of 12 valve
12 Valve Pros:
-Less expensive to rebuild
-Can run on lower quality fuel
-Parts are easier to find
-Tends to be more reliable
-Easier to work on
12 Valve Cons:
-Not as much power potential
-Not as fuel efficient
24 Valve Pros:
-More power potential
-More fuel efficient
24 Valve Cons:
-More expensive to rebuild
-Needs higher quality fuel
-Parts can be harder to find
-Tends to be less reliable
-Harder to work on
In-depth Review of 24 valve cummins
24 valve cummins:
1. More powerful and efficient
2. More valves mean better airflow and therefore more power
3. More torque
4. More efficient
5. More reliable
6. Better fuel economy
7. More comfortable
8. Smoother ride
9. Greater towing capacity
10. Increased resale value
12 valve vs 24 valve cummins:
1. 12 valves are less expensive to repair
2. 12 valves are more reliable
3. 12 valves have better fuel economy
4. 12 valves are more powerful
5. 12 valves have more torque
6. 12 valves are more comfortable
7. 12 valves have a smoother ride
8. 12 valves have a greater towing capacity
9. 12 valves have a lower resale value
10. 12 valves are less efficient
The 24 valve Cummins is more powerful and efficient than the 12 valve, and is the better choice for most people.
Hopefully, you are clear on the difference between 12 valve and 24 valve Cummins engines. If you still have any questions, feel free to comment below.